This month has been pretty busy, as evidenced by my not being around much online. However, that’s meant a lot of good developments for me in the writing department. I decided to do an overhaul of Paladin Honor thanks to the wonderful feedback last January (how is it already July?) at Darcy Patterson’s retreat. Feedback suggested some reworking of the end mostly and I wanted to pitch the novel at the Pacific Northwest Writer’s Association conference, which was two weekends ago as well, so it made sense to dive in and give the book a final polish. So, I’m ending the month not only with a freshly polished novel with a stronger ending, but also a couple of requests from pitching it. I just need to revamp the query and summary now before sending it on out. I feel victorious and productive.
Also, I’m hoping to make some changes to this website in the coming months. I’ve been getting a ton of spam comments, which is why I have the comments go off after two weeks, but I finally took the time to find and research some security things to put on it so I can re-open them again. I’m also doing some larger planning to try to organize my posts better… and eventually will probably bet get a theme that works better on a tablet. Marketing is one of my weaker things and I’d like to improve. Ultimately, I’d like to blog more on focused subjects, probably Anthropology and world-building for fantasy, science fiction, and historical novels, since most of mine fall into those categories.
Another thing that’s happened these last few months, is that I’ve written a joint novel! This was actually a huge surprise, since neither of intended to write a joint novel. While I’ve fallen into writing a few books when I didn’t mean to, this is the first one I’ve written entirely by accident. It started out as a fluffy crossover project, when during rping with one of my long term writing partners. One of my characters wanted to visit one of hers and help her solve a problem, and since we weren’t doing much at the time, we went ahead and wrote it. The thing ended up about 100k and we had a great time and considered it just fun writing practice.
Fast forward three years, and my friend dug it up at one point while revising another story and re-read it. It was actually a full novel, with proper character arcs, plot, and a great climax. It just needed some things to be filled out in the middle of it and for us to re-frame the book to make it unclear if my troll was a supernatural creature a construct of the MC’s imagination. We both dove into editing it and now we have a new great book!
On the downside, all this productivity somehow obscured me finalizing some art problems with my Calico Avenger book. I promise to get that fixed and out for sale soon! My new deadline is September 1st, and this time I promise it will happen!